- The definition of cyber security
- The importance of cyber security
- Types of cyber threats
- Follow these safety tips to protect against Cyberattacks
- Benefits of Cybersecurity
- What are the challenges in cybersecurity?
- Cybersecurity Vendors
- Most Common Sources of Cyber Threats
The definition of cyber security
Cyber security is the mechanism of protecting computers, networks, programs and data from attack, damage or unauthorized access.Cyber security is also name as information technology security.
The importance of cyber security
Cyber security is a very important thing for military, corporate, government, financial, and medical organizations. Because, they collect, operate and store many sensitive data/information on computers and other devices that they need. What cyber security does is, It explains how to transmit your data using the network safely and how you need to store it securely.
There are four major areas in Cyber security
- Network Security
- Application Security
- Information security
- Disaster Recovery
- Critical Infrastructure Security
- Cloud security
1. Network Security
This is for preventing and protecting against unauthorized intrusion or attackers into computer networks.
2. Application Security
Application Security enhances and protects the softwares and devices from external threats.
3. Information Security
Information security is organized to secure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of computer system data from unauthorized access or alterations
4. Disaster Recovery
Disaster recovery involves and aims on the IT systems for supporting when the organization or company faces a natural or human-induced disaster.
5. Critical infrastructure security
This belongs to cyber-physical systems such as electricity grid and water purification systems
6. Cloud Security
These are kind of software based tools that protect and enhance your data security in the cloud, this helps to eliminate the risks associated with on-premises attacks.
Types of cyber threats
There are three types of cyber threats,
Cybercrime is any kind of criminal activity that impacts(hacking, phishing, spamming) a computer, networked device or a network for a financial gain or to cause disruption.
Cyber-attack often works for gathering politically motivated information.
Cyberterrorism is the activity that can be used through the Internet to conduct violence and as a results, threaten and cause loss of life or significant bodily damage.
Follow these safety tips to protect against Cyberattacks
- Update on time your software and operating system:
It provides and covers latest security patches.
- Use an anti-virus software:
This helps to keep your softwares and entire system in a strong protection
- Use strong passwords:
Need to Ensure your password is not easily predictable
- Emails from unknown senders:
Do not open any email attachments you got from unknown senders
- Unsecured WiFi networks:
Do not use unsecured WiFi networks in public areas
- Backup data: Sometimes, whatever you did, your struggling will be useless. Hackers can get into your network or computer and They will try to encrypt your data with ransomware. But, If your company has a backup, no need to worry of losing your data by hackers. And the best thing that you need to remember is, the backup should be done in an effective manner.
Benefits of Cybersecurity
There are many kinds of benefits on cybersecurity.
- This helps to protect your business against malware, ransomware, phishing.
- Prevention of unauthorized users for your computer or network
- Enhances recovery time after a breach
- Build the confidence in the product/service for both sides(developers and customers)
What are the challenges in cybersecurity?
Cybersecurity is continually challenged by hackers, data loss, privacy, risk management, and changing cybersecurity strategies. Nothing currently indicates that cyber-attacks will decrease. Moreover, with the more entry points, there are for attacks, the more cybersecurity is needed to secure networks and devices.
Cybersecurity is always challenged by hackers. So we need to protect and secure the networks and devices.
One of the most critical elements of cybersecurity is, continually evolving nature of security risks.
There are three commonly known cybersecurity vendors. They are Cisco, McAfee and Trend Micro.
Cisco basically focuses on networks and allows their customers to utilize firewalls, VPNs and advanced malware protection systems for supporting email and endpoint security. They(Cisco) also support real-time malware blocking.
McAfee develops cybersecurity products for consumers and enterprise users. This is supportive for mobile, enterprise clouds, network, web and server-based security. McAfee offers data protection and encryption.
Trend Micro is an anti-malware vendor which offers threat protection services for mobile, hybrid clouds, SaaS and the IoT.
Most Common Sources of Cyber Threats
- Nation states or national governments
- Industrial spies
- Organized crime groups
- Hacktivists and hackers
- Business competitors
- Disgruntled insiders